News & Events
Sign up now for the FIDIC Contracts Kings College Summer School with FIDIC Academy
- Posted by: Chanel Holder
- Category: Uncategorized
Applications are now open for participants to register for this year’s FIDIC-Kings College Summer School, the popular annual one-week training course covering the FIDIC standard form of contracts in practice.
The course, which runs from Tuesday 2 July to Saturday 6 July 2024 in collaboration with FIDIC Academy, is offered to senior executives and is designed to equip talented commercial managers, engineers and lawyers with advanced legal, commercial and practical knowledge about FIDIC contracts and the legal background within which they operate.
FIDIC contracts are at the heart of many international projects, providing a robust contractual framework for project execution and delivery. A good understanding of the applicable law is required and this highly regarded intensive course, delivered by experienced trainers and legal professionals, builds on common law and civil principles and considers how FIDIC standard form processes operate in various legal systems.
During the week-long course, the FIDIC 1999 suite of contracts and the new FIDIC 2017 Red, Yellow and Silver books are analysed and reference will also be made to older FIDIC contracts, such as the 1987 Red Book and 1995 Orange Book, in order to focus on particular aspects of the contracts used in practice.
The comprehensive range of course topics includes:
- Procurement strategies, tendering and contract formation.
- Party obligations- Employer, Engineer and Contractor.
- Design responsibility, risk and insurance.
- Early contractor involvement and BIM.
- Prices, valuation, payment, variations and claims.
- Change management and quality management.
- Notices and claims procedures.
- Time, delays, extensions of time, damages and taking over.
- Delay analysis, proving delay and technique selection.
- Quantifying the costs of change, prolongation, disruption, profit and overheads.
- Suspension, termination, force majeure and exceptional events.
- Dispute resolution, dispute boards, amicable settlement and ICC arbitration.
- Workshops including delay analysis, practical issues of quantum and dispute board fundamentals.
The course will build participants’ commercial knowledge, deepen specialist expertise and broaden professional networks. Participants can be confident that they are receiving the best possible training as the course venue, the Dickson Poon School of Law is recognised as one of the best Law School in the world and the Centre of Construction Law and Dispute Resolution is recognised globally as the leader in its field.
The course has also been developed in consultation with FIDIC executives and endorsed by FIDIC Academy and is designed to blend their documentation with legal application. Intensive workshop sessions will also provide the opportunity to apply participants’ knowledge and experiences into practice to focus on legal issues on the mechanics of FIDIC contracts, and the issues and problems that arise in practice.
All successful participants on the course will receive a Certification of Attendance, jointly issued by FIDIC and King’s College London.